Private Fostering


A Programme of events has been scheduled to raise awareness of Private Fostering in Borough.  The general public are encouraged to attend the events.  There is no need to book.

Monday 9 July 2018: 

2-3pm – Community awareness event at Focus Point, Unit 15 Dagenham Business Centre, 123 Rainham Road North, RM10 7FD

Tuesday 10 July 2018:

10-11am –  Kingsley Hall Church and Community Centre

1.15pm – 2pm – Excel Womens Centre, 13 London Road, Barking IG11 8AA

Wed 11 July 2018:

11 – 12pm Private Fostering webinar for professionals at Barking Town Hall/Skype

1.30 – 2.30pm Castle Point Resource Centre, Community Cafe, 163 Bennetts Castle Lane, RM8 3YJ

Thursday 12 July 2018

12.15 – 12.45 Becontree Health Islamic Society, Dagenham Central Mosque, 798 Green Lane, Dagenham RM8 1YT

More information will be added once venues secured.



If your child is living with someone else you may have a private fostering arrangement.

See if you recognise any private fostering situations:

Frequently asked questions about Private Fostering:

What is private fostering?

It is an arrangement a parent makes for their child to live with someone who is not a close relative or guardian, for longer than 28 days.

A close relative or guardian is defined as a step-parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt or uncle, or someone who has parental responsibility.

If you care for someone else’s child, who is under the age of 16 years (or 18 years if disabled) for 28 days or more, at any one time, and you are not a guardian or close relative, you are privately fostering.

It is estimated that approximately 20,000 children in the United Kingdom live away from home in private fostering arrangements. However, less than 50% of these arrangements are registered.

What do you need to do?

Both the parent of the child and those providing the child’s care must inform the council of the arrangement at least 6 weeks before it begins.

If you are currently caring for someone else’s child, and you have not informed the local authority, you must do so immediately.

Why do I need to inform my local authority?

Although it is a private agreement between parents and care providers, there are now regulations about how a privately fostered child is looked after. The local authority has a duty and responsibility to check these regulations are carried out.

Caring for someone else’s child is a big responsibility. You need to love and care for this child, work in partnership with the parents, regardless of where the parents live, and be able to ‘let go’ of the child when their time with you comes to an end.

The local authority will offer you support in meeting these commitments, as well as offer you advice if you are considering privately fostering someone else’s child.

Who do I contact in my local authority?

Private Fostering team
Phone: 020 8227 5838

Someone will arrange to visit you to talk about the circumstances and how they can best support you and the child.

If you are the child’s parent, we will help you to make sure your child is kept safe and cared for, during the time you are unable to have your child with you

Further information

For more information, visit the LBBD Private Fostering webpages.